STARR RANCH GROWERS CANNING TIPS FOR WHOLE CHERRIES
SWEET OR TART VARIETIES
- It will take approximately two to two-and-a-half pounds of cherries for each quart of fruit desired to can.
- Wash and stem cherries. Remove pits if desired or can with pits in.
- Cherries may be canned in water, sugar syrup, or juice such as apple or white grape.
- The easiest way to can cherries is raw pack. Pack cherries tightly in sterilized jars to a half-inch from top. Add hot liquid to jar leaving a half-inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles with a plastic knife, wipe rim with clean cloth and adjust the lid. Process in a boiling water canner – pints and quarts for approximately 25 minutes.
- Label jars with a pack date once they have completely cooled. Also refer to canning procedures in your favorite canning guide.
OVERVIEW | DRYING | FREEZING | JAMS