STEPHANIE'S APPLE-ARTICHOKE STUFFING
Prep/Cook Time: About 1-½ hours.
Notes: Up to 1 day ahead, make dressing, put in casserole, cover and chill.
Makes: About 10 cups; 10 – 12 servings
1 Starr Ranch Granny Smith + 1 Honeycrisp apple
1 lb. sweet or spicy Italian sausage (optional)
1 loaf (l lb.) sourdough bread, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 lb. mushrooms, rinsed
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 onions (about ¾ lb. total) peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
2 jars (6 oz) marinated artichoke hearts, drained
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 ½ teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 ½ tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves (or ¼ teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary)
salt and pepper
1 large egg
1. Spread bread cubes in a single layer in 2 pans, each 10 by 15 inches. Bake in a 350’ oven until toasted golden brown, about 25 minutes. Turn cubes over with a wide spatula occasionally. After 15 minutes, switch pan positions.
2. Trim and discard discolored stem ends. Slice mushrooms.
3. Slice (or crumble), lightly brown the sausage, drain.
4. In a 10 to 12 inch frying pan over high heat, combine sausage, butter, mushrooms, onions, celery, and garlic. Stir often until vegetables are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Pour into a large bow. Add a little broth to pan and stir to scrape browned bits free. Add to bowl.
5. Pour 2 cups broth into bowl and add toasted bread cubes, apples peeled + cubed, artichoke hearts, parmesan cheese, poultry seasoning, and rosemary. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make a well in dressing, add egg, beat with a fork to blend, then mix egg with dressing.
6. Spoon into a shallow 3-quart (9 by 13-inch) casserole. For moist dressing, cover with foil, for crusty dressing do not cover. Bake in a 325 degrees to 350’ oven (use temperature turkey requires) until hot (at least 150’ in center) or lightly browned, about 50 minutes (1 hour if chilled).